On May 17, 2005, in celebration of Van Andel Institute’s fifth anniversary, Van Andel Institute (VAI) Chairman and CEO David Van Andel announced plans for Phase II, an expansion of the Institute's medical research and education facility. On December 8, 2009, VAI officials cut the ribbon on its eight-story, $178 million, 240,000 square-foot expansion that adds to the more than $1 billion in life sciences infrastructure investment already in place along downtown Grand Rapids’ Medical Mile.
NUMBERS / FACTS:
• Cost: $178 million; financed through private funds and bond issuance
• Size: 240,000 s/f; eight stories high – lab space nearly tripled
• Operating Capacity: expansion will ultimately support an operation in
excess of $125 million annually
• Use of materials with high recycled content, which reduces VOC’s generated during the manufacturing process
• Products with low-VOC content improve indoor air quality during construction and upon initial occupancy